We believe we are called by the Holy Spirit to proclaim and embody the compassionate, challenging, and inclusive love of God revealed in Jesus Christ.
This means we believe God has called us...
- To be compassionate people who see the face of Christ in all people, who love as radically as Jesus does, and who honor all people and all religions.
- To be challenging people who work actively for justice and peace, who ask hard questions of the bible, who think deeply, and who advocate for a better world.
- To be inclusive people who welcome all God's community, who rejoice in diversity, and who see God at work in the whole world.
HSLC by the numbers
- 1464 current members
- 45 members received in 2016
- 14 people baptized in 2016
- 16 people confirmed in 2016
- 477 people in worship every Sunday on average.
Reconciling in Christ
As a Reconciling in Christ congregation since 1997, we advocate for the full inclusion of lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender Lutherans in all aspects of the church. We believe that God’s inclusive love is for all people, and that all God’s children are welcome in the body of Christ.
Since 2007, we have also committed to being an Advocating Congregation. While we work to alleviate the suffering of those in need, we also recognize our responsibility to correct the injustices that create suffering in the first place. In the gospel of John, “Holy Spirit” can also be translated, “Advocate,” reminding us of God’s presence with us as we speak for those who can easily be forgotten.